I needed a little break from all the quilting I've been doing so today I decided to try out the Tova shirt pattern.
All of the voiles came from Spotlight about 18? months ago. I made a skirt tiered skirt with them, but cant seem to find where I blogged it.
The white fabric that I used for the front insert was an offcut I found in the bargain bin at Ikea! Its a current fabric and I'd love to see a Tova (or any collared shirt pattern) made completely from this fabric.
I love the way the white fabric with writing on it just pops out from the vintagey voiles. As you can see I left off the sleeves. I had planned to add them, and even pieced fabric and cut out the pattern pieces. But when I tried on the shirt for fit halfway through sewing it I thought it looked just dandy without the sleeves. I have bound the armholes with some bias binding.
The other alterations I have made were to cut about 2" off the bottom of the tunic length, because I am a shorty and I didnt have enough fabric. I also stretched about 4" of elastic accross the seam at midback, just to cinch it in a little through the back.
This pattern runs very small. I am usally around a size 12 up top and 14 down the bottom and I had to cut an XL (largest size) and then add some ease at the hips so it would fit.